Saturday, April 4, 2015

A View From The Garden

This week, many of our thoughts turn to the events of nearly 2,000 years ago. We are reminded of the sacrifice Christ made, of the gift that God gave to each of us. For me, I am also reminded of that this sacrifice and gift should make a difference in my life.

The night before Jesus' crucifixion he went to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray*. He knew the time of his death was nearing, and he knew that for that reason he had been sent to Earth. Still, he seemed to struggle with it. He prayed, "Father,...take this cup from me; yet not my will but yours be done." (Luke 22:43 NIV) We all know that things come our way in life that we don't like. We may find ourselves asking God to take 'this cup' from us, to save us the hurt of going through something hard. But just like Christ, we must realize that God has a bigger plan for our lives. It might not make sense to us, now or ever, but

I've been listening to a song about that very night in the garden. It's called "The Garden" by Needtobreathe. It's told from Jesus' perspective, what he might have been thinking and feeling based on what the Bible tells us. What I like is that the song then turns to us. It talks about how all we do should be a testimony to God's will for our lives. My life should tell a story of how God is working in me, it should be a demonstration of His love, and an offering back to him. And His will, not mine, should be done.

Let the songs I sing, bring joy to you
Let the words I say, profess my love
Let the notes I choose be your favorite tune
Father, let my heart be after you


You can see Bear and Bo Rinehart perform this song live here.

*You can read the full text in the Bible in Matthew 26:36-46, Mark 32:32-42, or Luke 22:39-46

No comments:

Post a Comment