Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Eat Your Veggies...For Breakfast

Last May I wanted to lose a little extra weight so I decided to step it up with my workouts and put more effort into eating right. The first thing I had to do was just start eating LESS. Portion size definitely matters when you are trying to manage your weight. Then I started focusing on healthier breakfasts that would leave me fuller longer and getting in plenty of veggies during the day. Eggs became my new best friend for breakfast. I didn't do anything fancy, just cooked up two eggs each morning. I ate more salads for lunch and chose fruits and veggies as snacks over carbs. I will say, my taste buds are evolving and I am trying foods that I thought I didn't like only to find that they are very good.

In the fall, I did a few clean eating challenges. This made me search for even more healthy recipes for my daily meals. One recipe I tried during my challenge was for sausage egg cups. Basically, you just cook scrambled eggs in muffin tins, adding in turkey breakfast sausage, red peppers, and onion. They were great and got me thinking about adding vegetables to my eggs in the morning.

Throughout the process I have tracked my eating with the My Fitness Pal app. This recipe popped up on my feed and I had to try it. It is a winner! It will be in my regular rotation of breakfasts.



Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Hash with Eggs

1 slice of bacon, chopped small
7-9 Brussels sprouts (trim off bottoms, discard), chopped small
1 Tbsp. chopped nuts, optional (I used pecans because I have them on hand)
1 to 2 eggs
Olive oil to coat pan
Salt/Pepper to taste

In a small pan, cook bacon. When edges begin to crisp and brown, add Brussels sprouts. Stir to mix and sauté until some of Brussels sprouts begin to brown. (This will leave you with a nice mix-some of them will be softer and others will still be a bit crunchy.) Stir in chopped nuts and then place "hash" on your plate. Coat your pan with olive oil, as needed and add egg(s). Cook to your liking. I prefer to cook it medium so the yolk is still a little runny. Place egg on top of "hash". Enjoy and give yourself a pat on the back for already getting in a serving of vegetables!


1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for how good and filling this breakfast is. Bethany made it for me a few times and now I'm making it for myself. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete