Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tomato Soup

I love tomatoes, but grew up not eating tomato soup. Maybe I never had good homemade tomato soup, but it stuck with me into adulthood that I didn't like it. A few years ago, I decided to give it another try. I've found that a lot of the things I didn't like growing up, I've developed a taste for as an adult.

This is a simple recipe and makes a small batch. I often make it for lunch. I have also doubled it and frozen it in individual servings. It is perfect when paired with a grilled cheese sandwich.

 
Tomato Soup
from The Baby & Toddler Cookbook

1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes, with their juice (I use my own frozen diced tomatoes.)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 C. vegetable or chicken stock
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. heavy cream

In a food processor or blender, process the tomatoes and their juices to a smooth puree. Set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, sugar, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender; reserve the saucepan. Working in batches if necessary, process the soup until smooth, then return it to the saucepan. Stir in the cream and heat for a few minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment