Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Step Back In Time

This weekend we headed back to Rock Cut State Park with some of our neighbors to camp and attend a World War II reenactment. Since I was a girl, historical fiction has been my favorite genre of books and World War II has always fascinated me. It was such an interesting time in history. As I lost myself in books, I often wondered what life was really like then. I imagined stepping back in time to see for myself.

Well, arriving at Midway Village Museum for Word War II Days was a lot like stepping back into the 1940's. There were over 1200 reenacters, each depicting different roles of life during the second world war. You could stroll the streets and see soldiers from various armies, nurses, Rosie the Riveters, as well as countless artifacts from the time period. We witnessed battles in the streets, walked through troop encampments in the woods, got up close to antique military vehicles and artifacts, and watched two battles unfold on a field--complete with tanks, military vehicles, and pyrotechnics. It was a lot of fun and something we would like to go back to.

A skirmish between American and German soldiers in the street

Lillian and me with General Field Marshall Rommel



The neighbor kids: Deep, Hannah, Nicole, Pooja, and Frankie
They made the weekend even more fun for my kids.


Levi running a machine gun in a trench

German soldiers preparing to march to battle

Ready for the big battle

So much to see and talk about







2 comments:

  1. Great photos! It looks like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your maiden was Schmidt but REALLY, fraternizing with the enemy??????

    ReplyDelete