Thursday, May 16, 2013

Homemade Chalk Paint

Chalk paint has been all over the place for the past few years. It is loved because of its ease of use and the unique finishes you can achieve with it. I have seen some amazing furniture pieces painted with the Annie Sloan chalk paint. However, the price tag of her paint has kept me from bringing it home for any projects. So, I decided to go the frugal, DIY route and try making my own chalk paint. I'm so happy I gave it a try because it turned out great!


There are a few different recipes out there, but I used one that called for unsanded grout. I decided to tackle a bedside table in my daughter's room. Once upon a time, it was rescued from the curbside on a garbage day and became my bedside table during my single years. Then, at our old house, it was in our guest room and now it has made its way into Lillian's room. When I got it, it was painted white and after a couple moves, it had a few chips which revealed a dark stain underneath. I figured it was a good candidate for my first attempt at chalk paint.

BEFORE

The nice thing about homemade chalk paint is that you can use any leftover paint you have lying around. I used the light green (Behr's Outback) that we had used in our downstairs bathroom. I wanted to bring in a little fun color to Lillian's room, but still keep it subtle. I mixed 2 Tbsp. unsanded grout and a little water to get a nice smooth consistency-similar to Elmer's glue. Then I added in 1 Cup of paint and mixed until it was blended. Now I was ready to start painting-no prepping or sanding except a quick wipe down with a wet cloth. The paint goes on nice and easy and covers well. I did two coats and followed with clear paste wax. The wax gives a more durable finish to the chalk-painted furniture. I love the more matte look you can achieve with chalk paint too.


A closer look at the finish
I also added a fun knob from Hobby Lobby.


Someday I may splurge on the "good stuff" for a project, but for now, the DIY chalk paint worked well for me. I would use it again because it was quick and easy. I didn't have to mess with a lot of prep work-something that has kept me from painting furniture in the past. So, if you have a piece of furniture that needs a  little sprucing up, give chalk paint a try. You can find lots of great tips and tutorials, as well as other recipes by searching online.

3 comments:

  1. That looks great Bethany! I just completed a media cabinet about a month ago. It's so rewarding to make something ugly beautiful again and an added bonus when you know you saved money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project turned out so good! I'm going to have to try the homemade version. Love the knob too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany... Thankyou! I'm also going to give this recipe a try. I somehow found your blog through someone else's, through someone else's :) you know how it is:) and I love this project. No prepping! Kindest Wishes...
    Marina

    ReplyDelete