Thursday, May 30, 2013

24-Hour Friend Fix

It is always good to spend time with your friends. For me, some of my best friends live far away, so it doesn't happen very often. That makes those times even more precious. Over Memorial Day weekend, I had the chance to make a quick trip up to see a few of my friends. Though it was just a short trip, it was worth it.

I dropped the kids off with Grandma K in Iowa. It was their first time staying at her house alone-what a treat! Then it was off to Minnesota for my whirlwind trip. I arrived at my friend Joanna's house and shared some fruit and cuddles with her kids. I gave her belated birthday presents. They included these mugs that I made-one for her, one for me.


You've probably seen these and similar projects all over Pinterest and blogland. There are mixed reviews, but these seem to be fine for now. I used dollar store mugs, a Sharpie marker, and baked them in the oven for 30 min. at 450 degrees (instructions often say 350 degrees). I let them sit about 48 hours before washing them in the dishwasher. The marker did not come off so I'm hoping they will hold up.

Soon it was time to get ready for our friend Lindsey's wedding. Once we were dolled up, we headed for downtown St. Paul with two of Joanna's three children in tow. The wedding took place at James J. Hill Reference Library, a very unique and beautiful setting. Lindsey looked gorgeous and the whole place oozed style. The wedding also spoke of Lindsey's careful planning and eye for design. It was such a fun time chatting with old friends, eating, dancing, and celebrating.




The next day I received one of the best gifts a mom can get...I slept in!!! I woke up at 8:00, which for me, is sleeping in. No little ones wandering in to join me in bed. No calls for Cheerios before the sun has even risen. It was glorious!

The day continued with another treat...shopping with my BFF Joanna...and again, NO KIDS! We hopped around downtown Northfield, which always has great, unique shops. Joanna let me pick out a few belated Christmas/birthday gifts. I chose a yummy tea and a tortilla press. I'll keep you posted on the tortillas. Lunch was at Hogan Brothers-they have the best sandwiches! And a day with Joanna wouldn't be complete if we didn't enjoy some cupcakes. This time we shared a black velvet cupcake and a salted caramel cupcake from Cakewalk.


Too soon it was time for me to head back to Iowa to spend the rest of the long weekend with the kids and my mom. Visits with friends, no matter how long, always recharge my battery and keep me going until I see them again.



No comments:

Post a Comment