Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dining Room Mini-Makeover

Like many newlyweds, much of the furniture that we started out with was hand-me-downs from various family members. We are very slowly swapping out the pieces we don't love for ones we do, but this takes time and more importantly money.

Our dining room set was given to us by John's aunt and uncle. I like that the table has two leaves, but other than that, I'm not really a fan. It's well-built, but just not my style. The worst part for me was the rattan backs on the chairs. They looked especially dated and weren't standing up to use by our young family. So, I decided to invest in some dining room slipcovers. I used a simple pattern from Fabric-by-Fabric One Yard Wonders and fabric that I got at 60% off. Each slip cover only cost me $10 and I'm happy with the change.

BEFORE

AFTER
Some day I may make fun, colorful ones that I can swap out, but for now I wanted something neutral that would work year-round.


I'm linking up to the Creative HomeAcre Blog Hop. Stop over and check out what other creative things people are doing around their homes.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there!! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for the Leibster Award! You can read the post here.
    http://furniture-ology.blogspot.com/2013/04/weve-been-given-leibster-award.html

    We are also new followers of yours. Follow back if you'd like :)
    Steve & Meg @ {Furniture-Ology}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so pretty! Since you can sew you can make slips for Christmas and special holidays. So cute!

    We'd love it if you would come and link up this post to our Creative HomeAcre Blog hop!
    http://acultivatednest.com/2013/05/the-creative-homeacre-blog-hop/

    Yes, I'm excited about the Wheat Belly book! I was expecting a little more from a Handmade Year. Definitely look at it the library or bookstore before buying. I'm not sure I would have bought it if I had done that. Oh well...in the end it was free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 'new' dining chairs! Thanks for sharing on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Join us for the new hop today, if you have time :)
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/05/the-creative-homeacre-hop-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post on Dining Furniture hope will you continue thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete