Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup

First of all, Happy New Year! I hope your year is getting off to a great start. It was nice to have some time with family over the holidays, but also nice to get back into a more regular routine. It's my first post of 2013 and I thank you for stopping in. If you're not already a follower of my blog, click the link on the right of the page to become a follower. It's the same as "liking" a page on Facebook and just lets me know who's reading.

We have soup at least once a week in the winter. I am a big fan of Chicken Tortilla Soup, but all of my recipes turned out soup that was too spicy for my little ones. I often throw together chicken vegetable soups with what we have on hand so I figured I could do the same to get a Chicken Tortilla Soup that was milder, but still full of flavor.
Here's my recipe...

Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 can diced tomatoes (I used frozen diced ones from our garden)
1 can black beans (I used frozen cooked beans)
1 C. frozen corn
8 C. chicken broth
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. chili powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

For Garnish: cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, tortillas strips*, and a squeeze of a lime if you like

Put broth, chicken, corn, tomatoes, onion, cumin and garlic together in a soup pot. Simmer over low heat until onions are near tender (about 20 min). Add black beans and cook for 10 min. more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

*To make homemade tortilla strips or chips, cut tortillas (flour or corn-we prefer corn) into desired shape. Place on greased cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and/or chili powder. Bake at 400 degrees until crispy.

If you'd like a spicier version, simply add more cumin and throw in a can or two of diced green chilies.

1 comment:

  1. Made this for lunch today. Yum! And the girls appreciated that it wasn't too spicy.

    ReplyDelete