Thursday, December 6, 2012

Fabric Letter Wall Hangings

Not long after Lillian was born, I stumbled upon this blog post about a baby shower. I fell in love with the fabric letter wall hangings they had created for the new baby. My mom was already putting the finishing touches on Lillian's quilt, made out of fabric from American Jane's Punctuation collection.


I love all of the 1930s reproduction fabrics that are out there and they are perfect for projects for little children. So, I picked up a selection of fabrics and started to work on spelling Lillian's name out on her wall.


I paired up fabrics and decided on the sizes of the embroidery hoops. I attached the letters to the background fabric using Sewable Heat-n-Bond. Then, I blanket-stitched around the letters. To make them a little more sturdy for hanging, I added a medium-weight fusible interfacing to the back of each piece of fabric before putting them in the embroidery hoops.


They have been up in Lillian's room since earlier this year and I love them each time I walk in. You can use this same method with shapes or silhouettes instead of letters.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany! Thanks for leaving such a nice comment today! I popped over here and the timing is so funny...the baby shower you mention was one I helped to host! Your hoop art letters turned out so well! I love the reproduction fabrics too!

    Warmly,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I was at that shower! How funny. Your letters turned out great! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany! I LOVE this! They are SOOOO cute! I want to do this in my baby's room...where did you get the template for the letters? Or did you make them up your self?
    Also- do you remember the pattern name of the baby sling you made? You told me at the shop, but I can't find the paper I wrote it down on....of course.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make the letters, I played around with fonts in Word and printed out ones I liked.

      The baby sling pattern I use is from Olive Ann Designs: http://www.oliveanndesigns.com/index2.php#/gallery1/3/

      Delete