Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

The kids are tucked in bed, their sugar highs wearing off. This year the whole family got in on the dressing up. We were the Super Readers from Super Why, a favorite preschool show on public TV. It was a lot of fun putting together and sewing the costumes. We were able to wear them a few times--once at my moms' group's trunk or treat and, of course, tonight. We had to bundle up a little more tonight--brr!

The Super Readers:
John as Alpha Pig, Me as Wonder Red, Levi as Super Why, and Lillian as Princess Presto

For comparison, here are the REAL Super Readers

Out trick-or-treating

Post trick-or-treating and enjoying some of the candy. They had just about as much fun handing out candy as collecting it for themselves.
Earlier this week, we carved our pumpkins with the help of John's parents.

I hope you had a fun and safe evening. Happy Halloween!


  1. Hi,
    My little guy is going to be Super Why for Halloween and wants his little sister to be Princess Presto. How did you make the costume? I am not the best at this and would love to learn. Thanks!

    1. Thanks for stopping in to my blog. These costumes were a lot of fun to make. The Princess Presto would be fairly easy to do-pretty much just straight stitching. You could also do a lot of it with craft or hot glue if you don't have a sewing machine.

      You'll need a pink t shirt (I layered a pink turtleneck underneath for extra warmth and to replicate the gloves Princess Presto wears), pink cotton fabric, lime green extra wide double fold bias tape (or lime green ribbon), pink tulle, elastic (probably 3/8" to 1/2" wide), lime green felt, lavender felt, elastic (can get iron-on or sewable) tiara and wand (I got mine at the dollar section of Target).

      For the tshirt, I edged the sleeves of the tshirt with the lime green bias. Just sandwich the edge of each sleeve inside the bias tape and stitch (or glue) around.

      For the bottom skirt, I measured my daughter's waist and cut the elastic just a bit shorter so it would be snug. I folded the pink cotton fabric in half to give the skirt two layers. The fold will be at the top and you'll hem the bottom. Sew a "casing" for the elastic, about 1 inch down from the fold. Thread the elastic through the casing and pin at each end. Then pin sides of fabric together to close the skirt and make a "circle". The fold will be at the top and the unfinished bottom hem at the bottom. Sew this side seam closed, being sure to sew the ends of the elastic. Now your skirt should be gathered on the elastic, you can space out the fabric so the gathers are evenly spaced. Try the skirt on your daughter and hem to the length you want.

      For the top skirt I sewed together tulle with a casing at the for the elastic. Then I trimmed the skirt to look like the shape of Princess Presto's skirt (shorter in the front). I trimmed the edge with more lime green bias tape.

      For the belt, I used felt. I cut strips and sewed them together to make the size of belt I needed to fit my daughter's waist. Then I added a circle with a lavender star in the middle. I put Velcro on the back of the belt to fasten it.

      For the cape, I measured my daughter's back and height to make one her size. I cut a cape shape (just eyeballed it, based on my measurements) with strips to come around to the front of her neck. I added Velcro to these strips to fasten the cape.

      I hope that makes sense. If you have more questions, you can email me at