Thursday, September 6, 2012

Labor Day Weekend: A Break From Work

The daily tasks of taking care of Levi and Lillian and running a household can be tiring at times. In addition, I'm on our church's MOPS leadership team and we're gearing up for our group's first ever meeting tomorrow. Let's just say, I've been a little busy. So, when the three-day Labor Day weekend rolled around, I was more than happy to set aside my to do list for a while and have some fun.

We finally got to have my brother and his girlfriend visit. They had planned to come in July, but an unfortunate car breakdown in New Mexico messed that up. So, we rescheduled for this weekend. Our plan was to go to the beach, but Hurricane Isaac decided to come along too. It was windy, cloudy, and cool. Still, the kids had fun playing in the sand. We hung out and Nathan and Steffoni tried out our canoe.


John and Levi caught a few frogs too.


We headed back to John's parents for lunch and got there just ahead of the rain. The rest of our time with them was spend lounging, playing, cheering on Iowa and Northern Iowa in football, enjoying some Portillo's, a fire outside, some really amazing stuffed french toast (thanks, Steffoni!), and a nice walk.


Our weekend wrapped up with a birthday dinner with John's parents. I made a cannoli cake for John, Sr. I have never even had this cake before, but I guess it's one of John's dad's favorites. I think it turned out pretty well for the first try--tasted delicious. I have plans for some recipe changes the next time I make it: double the cake recipe and use Grandma Ardente's cannoli filling recipe. Also, I may need to improve my piping skills.


It was nice to take a little break before getting back to work on Tuesday. It's even nicer when you get to take a break with some of your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment