Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Zucchini: A Few New Takes

This time of year, gardeners everywhere are trying to find ways to put their abundance of zucchini to good use. Once again, my in-laws are sharing from the bounty of their garden and I couldn't be happier.

We have made our share of zucchini bread and eaten our fill of grilled zucchini. I was ready to try something new. Here's what I found:

Lemon Zucchini Cookies (recipe follows)


This is a recipe from a family cookbook. They remind me a little of pecan sandies, of course with a lemon flavor. They are yummy and light tasting-a great summer cookie. These would be great for a ladies' tea or a shower.

Zucchini Tots


I found these little gems on Pinterest and they make a great zucchini side dish. I doubled the recipe, but didn't end up with as many as the recipe said-maybe my mini muffin pan is larger than others. Crispy and flavorful-you'd never guess they had zucchini in them.

Not Your Mother's Zucchini Bread ( recipe follows)


This recipe is from my mom's cousin. It won the best bread category of the Linn County (Oregon) Master Gardeners' Great Zucchini Challenge. It is a savory zucchini bread, similar to making a homemade beer bread. It has pepper jack cheese and diced green chillies so it has a slight kick to it. It was the perfect companion alongside Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.

If you've got a great zucchini recipe, I'd love to hear it. I've got plenty more zucchini that needs to be used.

Lemon Zucchini Cookies
1 C. grated unpeeled zucchini
2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 C. chopped nuts (I used pecans)
3/4 C. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. grated fresh lemon rind
3/4 C. butter or margarine

Lemon Frosting
1/3 C. powdered sugar
2-3 tsp. fresh lemon juice

Sift flour together with salt and baking powder. In another bowl cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and lemon peel. Mix in flour until dough is smooth, then add zucchini and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Brown only lightly. While hot, drizzle with frosting. Makes 6-7 dozen.

(Recipe note: When I made them, I only ended up with about 4 dozen and they were still small cookies. Also, mine were lightly browned in only 12 minutes, so keep an eye on your first batch.)

Not Your Mother's Zucchini Bread
3 C. self rising flour
3 T. sugar
3/4 C. shredded pepper jack cheese
3/4 C. shredded zucchini
1 (4-oz) can chopped green chilies
1 (12-oz) beer, at room temperature

Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased bread pan. Bake 75 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes one large loaf.

1 comment:

  1. My zucchini plant has grown like crazy this year but isn't producing much. I did have enough frozen from early in the season to make this: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/10/pumpkin-zucchini-bread.html It was super yummy. I'm going to make it for our MOMS Club brunch bake off next week!

    ReplyDelete