Monday, August 13, 2012

What I've Been Up To

It's been a fun and busy few weeks at our house. I haven't gotten to post anything in a while so I have quite the backlog. Instead of separate posts I'm giving it to you all at once. So settle in--this could take a while, but in the end you'll be caught up on what's been happening in my happy life.

One of the things on our summer "Sand Pail List" was an outdoor concert. We checked it off with our first trip to Ravinia. John, Levi, and I headed there while Lill stayed home with Grandma Sue and Papa. We packed a picnic supper, some toys and games, our chairs and a blanket.


The time spent waiting was just as fun as the actual concert. Levi was so excited to see and hear "The Planets." As usual, he made friends with our lawn neighbors, even sharing his bumble bee chair. He gave the concert a thumbs up before he fell asleep on the blanket. The symphony was a very beautiful one and the accompanying video was very cool.


Back at home I was busy doing everyday things: playing with kids, grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, etc. I've been freezing tomatoes in batches as they ripen.


The cherry tomatoes usually get eaten and most of the large tomatoes are diced, drained a little, and frozen in 2 C. portions for use in soups or any recipe that calls for diced tomatoes.

My mom and her friend, Carmen came for a long weekend. We started out by celebrating my mom's and John's mom's birthdays with a day at the beach.


We splashed, swam, fished, caught frogs,


went on rides in the fishing boat,


played in the sand, grilled lunch, and ended our celebration with Chocolate Cluster-Peanut Butter Cake. Yum!


The rest of the weekend us ladies spent a day at the Kane County Flea Market and one in downtown Chicago. Thanks to John for keeping the kids both days. After taking the train downtown, we had lunch at the top of the John Hancock Building and took an architectural boat tour. Both are definite must-dos for anyone visiting Chicago.

Once we said good-bye to my mom and Carmen, we gathered our things for a camping trip with some of our neighbors. We camped at Indian Trails Campground in Pardeeville, WI.


It was a nice campground with plenty for all the kids to do.





Our first full day there was a little wet and cool, but it dried out eventually. Most of the group headed for a canoe/kayak ride down the Fox River.


While they were gone I started my first campfire with Levi's help. That's usually John's department, but I managed to get it going.


There was plenty of fishing and of course, fun around the campfire.




Now we're back home and have more adventures planned for our last week together. John heads back to school next week and we'll all be getting into a new routine then. Hopefully I will be able to make it to my computer more regularly then. So there you have it--a recap of what's been keeping me busy these last few weeks. I hope you've been having lots of fun as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment