Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Downton Abbey--Join the Club

I've never been one who's up on the latest TV shows or movies. I'm usually the last one to jump on an entertainment bandwagon, if I do at all. When asked, "Have you seen (insert the name of any newly released movie)" or "Do you watch (insert the name of a popular TV series)" and the answer is almost always "no." It's not that I don't like movies or TV, it's just that at his stage in my life I have limited amounts of free time and  a lot of other ways I choose to spend it than keeping up on the latest movies and shows. Most of my friends know this about me, but they love me anyway. So when one of them tells me about a movie or show that I "have to watch", I know that they're serious about it.

Earlier this year, my friend suggested I watch PBS's "Downton Abbey." I filed it away, but it wasn't until a few months later when I heard others talking about it that I decided I needed to check it out. I found that I could get Season 1 through Netflix, but I was hearing that Season 2 was trickier to get a hold of. However, with Season 3 not airing in the US until January 2013, I had plenty of time to get caught up.


I added Season 1 to my Netflix queue and portioned it out--one episode a week. What was the rush? Plus, when something's good, it's nice to savor it. I fell in love with the show. I'm always a sucker for any historical movie or show. Plus, like the books I love best, there were so many great characters to love and hate, as well as multiple story lines intersecting. It was always exciting. Just when you think things are going to turn out alright for the Crawleys and their staff, something (or someone) turns up to complicate things.

Recently, I reserved Season 2 from the library expecting there to be a long waiting list. To my surprise it was ready for me to pick up just a few days later. Unfortunately, that only gave me a week's time to watch nine episodes. It was going to be tough. To complicate things, our TV broke and had to be sent out for repairs. Thankfully, I can still watch on our laptop. So, this past week has been full of late nights. After the kids are in bed, I head back downstairs to see what new drama unfolds for the people of Downton Abbey. I even got John roped into it halfway through the second season. Now he wants to go back and watch Season 1, too.

All this to say, I am a part of the Downton Abbey fan club and I'm recruiting new members. Have you seen it? If you haven't, please do. I guarantee you'll love it and like me, you'll be wondering how you will last until Season 3 finally airs. (FYI-Only 165 more days to wait.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bethany -- I LUV "Downton Abbey" too!! My folks got me started watching it. I've seen the whole thing twice, in fact. Can't wait for the new season. Good to see you at Kane -- sorry to confuse you for a sec! You are both cute, arty, vintage girls!! I think the heat melted my brain. Hope to see you again soon. xo

    ReplyDelete