Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grilled Pizza

The other night we tried making grilled pizza for the first time. In the past we have grilled frozen pizzas or pizzas made on a pre-baked crust from the store. This time, we used freshly made pizza dough. I made my favorite pizza dough in my bread machine using 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 wheat flour. I followed the tips from Serena of The Farm Chicks on getting the dough onto the grill. I made each pizza dough a little small so that it would be easier to work with. Then I grilled each on both sides, just to cook it a little and make it firm. This makes it much easier to transfer when it's piled high with toppings. Plus, you don't end up with raw dough and over-browned toppings.


Once they are pre-baked a little, you take them off and top with your favorite toppings. Levi has not been a big fan of pizza in the last six months. I've figured out he doesn't like the tomato sauce and all the cheese. So, I'm always trying to create a pizza he will like. This time (by his request) it was garlic and herb spreadable cheese with sausage and peas. We also made sausage, sausage and onion, and barbecue chicken pizzas.


Return them to the grill and cook on medium low until they are browned to your liking and the cheese is melted. These pizzas are definitely better than ones baked in the oven. Plus, by making smaller pizzas, it's a great way for everyone to get what they like on their pizza. It's a great meal on a hot day when you want to keep the kitchen cool or a fun meal when you're entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool idea! I love this! I had to add it to my Pinterest pinboard (hope you don't mind, it links to you!) so that I wouldn't forget it. Although, I put up a few extra balls of pizza dough a couple of days ago, so I'll probably try this in the next day or two. Thanks for the great idea! Can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete