Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fresh Rhubarb Cake

When my mom came to visit me earlier this month, I asked her to bring me some rhubarb. She brought the little bit she had and I had almost forgotten about it in my fridge. Luckily, it was still good so I decided to make up a Fresh Rhubarb Cake. It's a recipe I had gotten from a friend of my mom's last summer.

I didn't quite have enough rhubarb to make a full recipe of the cake, so I halved it and put it in a round cake pan instead. It turned our moist and delicious. As with all the best rhubarb recipes, it has the perfect balance of sweet and tart. It's great by itself or you can top it with whipped cream or ice cream.


Fresh Rhubarb Cake
Cake:
1/2 C. margarine or shortening
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 egg
1 C.buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda (add to buttermilk)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2 C. flour
2 1/2 to 3 C. chopped fresh rhubarb

Cream brown sugar and shortening together. Add egg, salt, vanilla, and buttermilk to which soda has been added. Mix well. Then add flour and rhubarb and combine. Pour batter into greased 9x13 in. pan and sprinkle with topping (see below).

Topping:
3/4 C. white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Bake for 40-45 min. in 350 degree oven. (For a round cake, bake 25 to 30 minutes.)
If you're looking for other ways to use your rhubarb, try Strawberry Rhubarb Bars or The Farm Chicks' Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.

1 comment: