Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spring Decorating...Finally

Way back at the beginning of March, I began to put away our winter and Valentine's Day decor to bring out our spring decor. I love doing that. It lightens things up and everything seems fresh and new. I shared the process of decorating my corner cupboard with my decorating think-aloud and not long after, finished up the rest of my decorating. I intended to share it with you, but it got interrupted by birthday party planning, beautiful summer-like weather, and of course, the painting.

So, even though I feel like I'm really late in sharing this, I have to remind myself that it is still spring so it is still the right time to share my spring decorating with you. Here goes...

Last spring I made this yo-yo wreath out of 1930s reproduction fabrics for my front door. I have a few yo-yos leftover so I intend on using them on a table runner.


Once again, in my entry is my cute little antique table. I topped it with a woven tray which I filled with framed pressed ginkgo leaves (my favorite-they're beautiful), a round green vase, and a jar candle. For a touch of nature I added in a forsythia branch. I've had to leave the bottom shelf empty because I have a very curious ten-month-old right now.


On to the living room. Here's my corner cupboard again. Boy was I glad I had taken pictures of it already when John told me I had to UN-decorate it for the painting. It was so much easier to recreate it.


In another corner, this bookshelf. Since this is also accessible to Lillian, I've had to place objects on here that aren't easily broken and are easily rearranged after she messes with them. I just recently placed the pitcher on the bottom shelf. I'm not sure if it will be able to stay there, but I'm going to give it a try. It survived being on a low shelf when Levi was her age and so far she's left it alone.


In the dining room, I have a lovely pale green striped table runner that my mom just bought for me. I've topped it with a glass bowl filled with artichokes.


The buffet is pretty simple. On the left a pale green candle, a cream metal tower, and a ceramic bunny. On the right, a willow basket made by my dad, which I've filled with artificial grasses.


On the kitchen table, I have a pale yellow bucket filled with wooden crackle eggs.


In the corner of my counter is a hydrangea bloom in a crock, an iron bird, and a green metal egg holder.


On the brown shelf in my family room, I placed a branch in the background to add some interest and tie all the pieces together. I filled another glass bottle with split peas and added items in a variety of shapes and materials.

My mantle has a vintage metal tray along with a white metal pitcher and a glass bee catcher.


If you haven't already lightened up your home decor for spring, now is as good a time as any. Look for pieces throughout your home in light colors. Adding green always says spring, as well. You can throw in a bunny, an egg, or a bird if you like. Just think new and fresh...even if you're using things that aren't. Changing the placement of just a few things in your home can make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment