Thursday, February 9, 2012

Spread a Little Love: Valentine's Decorating

In the month of February, I always add a little bit of love to my home decor. For me, that means decorating with red and pink, and adding in hearts and sweet treats. Some areas of the house are still decorated for winter with snowmen (though we've been without snow for most of this winter), evergreens, and cardinals. In other places, I've replaced my winter decor with Valentine's Day decor. I started with the wreath on the front door, then added more touches inside.

In my entry, I've added assorted candy to vases which hold tulips and a candle. Underneath I grouped some silver candlesticks.


One of the things I've learned from looking at displays at antique sales and shops is that you don't necessarily have to use items that are seasonally or holiday specific. For example, I hung one of my favorite plates in the entry. It is a vintage souvenir plate from Iowa (my home state) that my mother-in-law gave me.


It works perfectly here because it is white and pink, even though it's not specifically for Valentine's Day. It's much easier to use what you have to decorate when you look for items around your house in colors of the season or holiday.


On my buffet, I've kept the winter berries and red candle from my Christmas decorating, but added cinnamon hearts in a vase.


Also, a white iron candle holder, small vintage glass bottles filled with red hot candies, and a Valentine's bowl.


While getting out my Valentine's decorations, I realized that I still didn't have a table runner for the holiday. I had intended to make one after going through the same thing last year, but it didn't happen. So, I used some extra red felt, heart-shaped buttons, and rick-rack that I had for Valentine mailboxes I'm making the kids (more on that to come). It was quick and easy--the best kind of project. I've topped it off with a red and white plate filled with primroses (only 49 cents at Aldi!).


On the kitchen counter, I added a jar of Valentine's candy, a cupcake tree, and a small Valentine's bowl.


On the mantel, I've placed an antique wooden box filled with white vases and a single red tulip in a candy-filled glass bottle. It goes well with the red berry wreath that is above the fireplace.


Now that I have my house all ready for Valentine's Day, I've been making plans for the menu on Valentine's Day. I had fun last year making heart-shaped and red foods for the day so we'll see what I come up with this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment