Monday, January 9, 2012

What I'm Reading Now

When I posted my first 'What I'm Reading Now', I planned on doing it once a month. It's been a very long time and I'm only now posting my second list of books.


Each New Day by Corrie Ten Boom
I am a big fan of Corrie Ten Boom. The Hiding Place is one of my favorite books. Her faith is amazing and inspiring so when I saw this devotional, I asked for it for Christmas. It is a collection of 365 daily devotions, each containing some scripture and some commentary from Corrie. I am keeping this next to my bed so I can be sure to start my day focusing on God's Word. Though the devotionals are short, they are powerful and thought-provoking. They really help me to set my mind on the right things as I begin my day.

In My Father's House by Bodie Thoene
This is another favorite author of mine. I love her historical fiction because it's believable and complex. There are always multiple story lines which end up connecting. The last hundred pages of her books are always extremely exciting and it's hard to put the book down. This is the first book in the Shiloh Legacy, a three book series that starts with the end of the first World War and goes through the Great Depression. John has been reading through the series and is on the last book now.

Practicing Hospitality: The Joy of Serving Others by Pat Ennis & Lisa Tatlock
My church recently offered a class on this topic. They shared a lot of interesting ideas and got me wanting to read more about it. This is one book on the topic my mom shared with me. It is a practical guide that reminds us what the Bible has to say about hospitality and also provides ways, both big and small, that we can practice hospitality.

In the past months I also read a few popular titles. I'm sure you've heard of them. In fact, I may be the last person finally reading them. For my book club, I read The Devil In the White City by Erik Larson. This was especially interesting to me since I live in the Chicago area. It was a great mix of history and suspense. I also read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I loved the lively characters in this. I have yet to see the movie so I'm looking forward to it, but I know that the books are always better.

Have you read any good books lately?

1 comment:

  1. I loved The Hiding Place. That devotional looks great! I just finished reading your copy of Sarah's Key. It was really good. Such a sad story. I'm currently reading the Nook version (on the iPad) of The Essential Stay-at-Home Mom Manual by local author Shannon Hyland-Tassava. I'm really enjoying it! It's like a cheerleader for the SAHM. And I'm going to start reading the Tina Fey memoir Bossypants tonight. I got it for my mom for Christmas and she thought it was really funny.

    ReplyDelete