Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Five years...

It's been five years since I lost my dad. I wish this date didn't mean anything. That it was just another day, but I think it's a date I'll always remember. Each year at this time a little cloud settles over me. I get teary and sad. My last days with him replay through my mind, though I'd rather not remember it. Most of the time I think of him in times when he was well and full of life.



When remembering the loss of my dad, I can't help but reflect on what I've learned about God in these five years. It was his death that brought me back into a close relationship with God. Without it, I don't know how I would have dealt with my loss and all the emotions that come during the grieving process. Here are some promises that have meant the most to me...


Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken...Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:5,6,8

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. Psalm 63:8

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff comfort me. Psalm 23:4

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

4 comments:

  1. Hugs to you Bethany! I wish today was just another day for you as well. I know all too well the feelings of loss and sadness that you feel every year when this time rolls around. Although the hurt never goes away, I am so glad that you, as well as myself know that we can grieve, but with the hope and knowledge of one day seeing our dads again! I'm so glad that God brought you back to himself through your dad! Love you friend and I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah (Ives) MarinoJanuary 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM

    Your Dad was such a great man. I miss his laugh and great sense of humor. I have so many great memories of him. This life is so short....but praise the Lord we have eternity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love seeing photos of you and your dad. God has given us amazing reassurances in His Word. Thinking of you today especially!

    ReplyDelete