Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Homemade Bisquick Mix

Bisquick is a staple in many pantries, including mine until a year ago. In an effort to save money by making more things at home, I came across a recipe for Bisquick style baking mix in Healthy Meals for Less. It's easy to make and you end up with a big box of it--all the convenience of Bisquick for less money. Plus, my family has found that we like the taste of things made with the homemade mix better than regular Bisquick.


Baking Mix (like Bisquick) from Healthy Meals for Less by Jonni McCoy
Makes 10 Cups

8 C. flour
1 1/4 C. powdered milk
1/4 C. baking powder
1 T. salt
2 C. shortening (don't use butter--but I do like to use butter flavored Crisco)

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a very large bowl and mix well. Cut in the shortening (I use a pastry cutter)


until it looks like coarse cornmeal.



Store in an airtight container in the cupboard or pantry. I bought this plastic container (like the kind used to store cereal) at Wal-Mart. On the label I put the date I mix up each batch.


Once you have it mixed up, you can use it to make any Bisquick recipe. Some of our favorites are drop biscuits, strawberry shortcake, and the "Impossibly Easy" pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment