Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Decorating Open House

While the Christmas season can mean lots of fun outings, my favorite part of the holidays is gathering at home, or in the homes of others to spend time with family and friends. It's also fun to see how different families decorate their homes for the holidays. So, as part of The Inspired Room's Christmas Home Tours link party, I am inviting you to step into our home to see how we've decked the halls.

Last week, I shared how I decorated by our front door. I started my decorating inside while my mom was visiting for Thanksgiving. We got a good portion of it done, but I've been adding little touches since. You'll notice that we don't have a Christmas tree this year. Since we won't be celebrating Christmas here and have curious little ones, we decided to skip a tree this year. Levi does have a little one in his room, though.

In my entry, I have this great antique table. I didn't have it last year so it has been fun to decorate it for the holidays since getting it. It's quite tempting for Levi, so I try to keep things on it that aren't breakable. This year I put up a wooden sign, simple evergreen tree, and a lantern. I also hung a rustic star. (You may notice that the wallpaper in the entry is now gone. Just have to finish removing the glue and paint it now.)



Also in the entry is this simple rack. While it can hold coats and purses of our visitors, I like to put some holiday touches on it too. For Christmas I hung a decorated stocking and a green wreath.


We have a vaulted ceiling in our entry and I decorate the railing above with a garland and a string of bells. I love my garland and look forward to putting it up each winter. It is wispy and light, and looks more realistic than some.


In my living room, I have a few spots where I add seasonal decor. I love my corner cupboard. With all its shelves, I can display a lot of different things. I've learned that its important to add a variety of materials, shapes, and sizes to create the most interesting display. Adding greens, berries, and pine cones brings in a touch of nature and fills in the background nicely. My favorite part is the antique egg nog bowl my mom got me last Christmas.


In another corner, I have this bookshelf. While it houses a few photo albums and holds a lamp on top, it is mostly for decorative purposes. Again, I've mixed candles, ceramic, glass, and metal pieces, along with greens. Since the wood is dark, I try to add in glass pieces, as well as some brighter colors.


In my dining room, I decorate the top of my buffet. I wanted to use mostly glass container to reflect more light.


On one side I placed a bunch of winter berry branches in a vase. It's flanked by a red candle and another vase filled with small acorns.


On the other side, I filled a large glass container with a mixture of greens and glass ball ornaments. Then I added a miniature evergreen tree and a wooden nutcracker.


My mom made me this beautiful holly table runner. Holly is one of my favorite Christmas symbols.


Unfortunately, my kitchen doesn't have a lot of display space, but I take advantage of a little corner of my counter to create a seasonal grouping. I filled an antique box grater with greens, cinnamon sticks, and berries. I added an antique holly napkin, an old jar, and an antique syrup dispenser. I plan to pick up some peppermints to put in the syrup dispenser.


On my table, I have a glass bowl filled with vintage ornaments, pine cones, and greens. I like to have something decorative on the table, but since we use this table for most of our meals, I always put something there that moves on and off easily.


The last stop on our home tour is our family room. I have a wooden pegboard shelf between the windows that is a perfect spot for displaying small seasonal decor. Again, I tried to use a variety of materials and textures, and added in greens and berries.


My mom made this cute mitten. Just pick up the inexpensive little kid mittens and fill with greens, berry picks, cinnamon sticks, and a candy cane made of pipe cleaners. Stitch on a holiday button and add a hanger and you've got a great ornament or decorative piece. It would make a great homemade gift.


Above our fireplace, I have a berry wreath. I put it there last Christmas, but I decided to leave it up all year. To add more Christmas to the mantel, I put a Christmas stitchery, a wooden cardinal, and hung our stockings.


The stitchery is a gift from my friend and I absolutely love it. I wish I could leave it up all year.


Our stockings are hung by the chimney with care. I made them out of felt last year. I added Lillian's this year. Poor Rosie (our dog) is still waiting for hers to be finished. I didn't get it done last year and it's gotten pushed to the bottom of the list this year too. I've promised her to get it done this week.


Well, that does it for our Christmas home tour today. I hope you got some ideas for your own decorating. I'll be sharing more later this week of how I bring small touches of the holidays to lesser used or smaller rooms. Be sure to visit The Inspired Room's Christmas Home Tour to get ideas from Melissa and all the other readers and bloggers who have linked up there.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using the antique grater as a decorative standout! Very nice! Thank you for sharing your wonderful home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love all your classic touches. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. Love the way you used the grater. :) I love the picture too and you could leave it out all year since soon it will be Christmas day even if it is 364 days away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "Soon it will be Christmas Day" sign is SO cute! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that little stitchery--so adorable and happy. I like the winter berry branches--wish I had some like it. The little tree on the table is so cute too.

    ReplyDelete