Monday, November 14, 2011

Introducing Katey Anne Creations

I've been absent from my blog for a while because I've been living between my sewing machine and ironing board. Finally, after lots of hard work and planning, I was ready.


Let me rewind a little to tell you about Katey Anne Creations and how it came to be. In the past few years since I started sewing, my mom and I would often see things in shops and think, "We could do that." My mom is a talented and creative lady and luckily, I've picked up a few things from her over the course of my life.

We talked about someday having a little business where we would sell things we've sewn. So, when I started making baby/new mom related things for myself and friends, my mom encouraged me to make them to sell. I let the idea roll around my head for a while until I go used to it, but I didn't really commit to it until my mom saw an ad for a "Holiday Craft & Vendor Sale" that was going to be held at my local park district. "You should sign up for a table," she encouraged (as only a mom can do). So, I took the leap and signed up for a table and Katey Anne Creations began. We decided on this name because, as a child my mom always wanted to be called Katie (we chose a more 'old-fashioned' spelling) instead of Kathy and Anne is my middle name.

I got busy right away gathering my materials and deciding what I would make, but in my typical fashion, I put off most of the actual sewing until October. And then it was November, and I still had a lot to do. After some late nights, I got most things done and had plenty to sell. My mom made the trip over with the table runners she had sewn and the decorative mittens she had made.

On Saturday we loaded up her van and took our things to the sale. It felt a little like the old days when my parents went to craft and art shows to sell their stuff. We laid out our stuff and prayed for a good day of sales.






In the end, the sales were so-so, but I received lots of compliments on my things and I felt proud of the work I had done. My next step is to list my items on Etsy. I'll be sure to share that info when I get it done. In the meantime, if you're interested in anything, just send me an email (bethanyardente@yahoo.com). I have embellished burp cloths, nursing covers, taggie blankets, travel tissue holders, and hand embroidered towels. My mom also has table runners and mittens left.

I'm excited to try out this little side business. So far I've had a lot of fun sewing and I have lots of ideas for other items I might want to make. Plus, it's a way to bring in some extra income and still be home with my little ones. I'll keep you all posted on how things are going.

(Sorry for the blurry pictures. I didn't realize they were blurry when I took them or I would have taken time to get some good ones.)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first sale! Did you keep your first dollar? :) I wish you had your Etsy shop now so I could window shop...or is that screen shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Bethany!! So happy for you and your new adventure. Your stuff looks really cute, do the nursing covers have boning or anything around the neck area to keep them open enough for you to see your little one without having to use your hands to look? I wish I had a baby to nurse, I would totally buy one, I love the fabrics!! Best of luck, hope this springs to life for you and can bring some nice income to help you while you are at home with your little ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Debbie, they do have boning around the "neck".

    Thanks for the encouragement girls!

    ReplyDelete