Thursday, October 13, 2011

Punkin Patch

In the days leading up to our weekend trip to Iowa, Levi often talked about how we were going to a "punkin patch." We headed to Denny's Pumpkins in Independence, Iowa. Since we discovered it almost ten years ago, we have been coming here to get pumpkins, squash, and gourds.


Denny Shannon and his family grow their pumpkins, squash, and gourds outside of town and bring them to their home to sell. They have a great set-up there: old Radio Flyer wagons to haul your selections, nice photo ops, and plenty to pick from for your fall decorating and cooking/baking needs.



They're always friendly and helpful and have reasonable prices. My dad always loved that they had free bags of popcorn and Levi was thrilled when they gave him a Tootsie Roll for the road.


I was on the lookout for some decorative pumpkins and gourds, as well as some squash for cooking. I wasn't necessarily planning on buying a pumpkin to bake with, but Denny suggested that if I liked to bake, I should try baking with one of the beige/tan pumpkins. This variety is supposed to be the best for baking. It is meatier, less stringy, and sweeter than other pumpkins. I'm going to give it a try and I'll post more about it.

Levi had a ball roaming around the yard with the wagons. He filled one with mini pumpkins, which kept him busy while my mom and I chose just the right pumpkins and gourds for our decorating.


If you're in eastern Iowa, I'd highly recommend stopping by Denny's for your pumpkin needs. While you don't get the experience of going out in the field to pick your own, they still have all you could want from a "punkin patch."

Denny's Pumpkins
415 5th Ave. NE
Independence, IA

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bethany! Looks like fun!! Hey, I got your blog up on our roll -- sorry to be so slow. Thanks for your comment on our Pinterest post. xo

    ReplyDelete