Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Apple Pie

Earlier this week I shared a recipe for apple bread, but I couldn't bring home a bag of apples without baking up a few apple pies.


Apple pie is the pie I make most often because it's always a crowd-pleaser. Not many people can pass up a slice of homemade apple pie. My recipe comes from my grandma, and it's really simple. It is a crumb-top pie, which is my favorite kind of fruit pie.

I start with my grandma's pie crust recipe. It makes two crusts so you have a few options. You can make two crumb-top pies like I did, make one two-crust pie, or make one crumb-top pie and freeze the other portion of the dough for use later.

Apple Pie Filling (enough for one pie)

4 C. peeled and chopped apples (I like to use a mix of apples for the best flavor.)
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. cinnamon (I love cinnamon so I go heavy on it. I don't typically measure it-just shake till it looks good. You can adjust it to your taste.)

Mix to coat apples. Pour into unbaked pie crust.


Crumble Pie Top (enough for one pie)
3/4 C. flour
3/4 (6 Tbsp.) stick margarine, softened
1/3 C. sugar

Crumble together with pastry blender or fork. Sprinkle on top of fruit filling.

Bake at 400 degrees for one hour or until top is golden brown.


Like any apple pie, this is delicious served warm with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment