Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Bread

While many bakers' thoughts are now turning to pumpkins, mine are still on fresh-picked apples. Though I didn't pick them from the trees myself, I did "pick" up some apples from an orchard while I was in Iowa.

I love making apple pie, and I'll definitely get to that, but I wanted to make a few other things with my apples before going to my old stand-by.

I tried out a recipe for Swedish Apple Cake that I heard about here. It was yummy. The cake was simple and sweet and the apples added a nice fresh flavor.

I couldn't forget to use some of my apples on a favorite apple bread recipe that I've been making for the past few years. It started out when I was looking for a "healthy" first birthday cake for Levi. I came upon this recipe and love it. It works well as a bread or muffins. The recipe says you can also double it and bake it in a bundt pan for a nice apple cake.


I've made a few changes to make it a little healthier, but it's really yummy either way you fix it.
Apple Bread (from http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/)

1/2 C. canola oil (I use 1/2 C. applesauce instead)
1 C. sugar
3 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
2 C. flour ( I use 1 C all-purpose flour & 1 C. wheat flour)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. milk
2 large apples, finely chopped (be sure these are a uniform size)
Optional:
1/2 C. raisins
1/2 C. chopped walnuts

Combine oil (or applesauce), sugar, and vanilla and cream until light and fluffy. (If you use applesauce it will not get really fluffy.) Add egg and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients. Also add apples (and raisins and nuts, if using). Stir only until flour is well dampened. The batter is very thick and lumpy-not the usual consistency of cake or bread/muffin batter.


Bake at 375 degrees in a greased and floured 9x5x4 loaf pan (or other pan of your choice). bake 50 to 60 minutes or until the top begins to crackle. Cool and remove from pan.

1 comment:

  1. Just made and ate the bread. It was great! I made it vegan and low fat with rice milk and egg replacement. I did half canola and half applesauce and it was a hit!

    ReplyDelete