Thursday, September 29, 2011

What I'm Reading Now

Reading is one of my favorite ways to spend my free time. These days, I do most of my reading in the evening before bed. Actually, I find it hard to fall asleep without reading first. No matter how tired I am, even if I can only get one page read, it's a bedtime must.


I thought I'd start a new, recurring segment to highlight what I'm currently reading. I used to read only one book at a time, but now I generally have at least two going at once. Right now, I have quite a few that I'm making my way through.


I heard these ladies speak at my church's women's retreat earlier this month. This book tells the story of their journey through loss and how God used it to draw them closer to Him and to give them their ministry. The story is told from both their perspectives, which I always enjoy. Plus, they have integrated verses into their story. It's a very powerful testimony.

My friend Joanna loaned this to me after Lillian was born. It's a perfect book for busy moms because each chapter is a story/essay in itself. It makes it easy to pick up whenever you have a chance without having to remember what was going on in the storyline. The author has studied Zen and practiced meditation for many years so each chapter is tied to a Zen teaching. Her stories show the reality of motherhood-the good, the bad, and the ugly. She helps you feel okay with your mistakes and gives you a new perspective on motherhood. She is insightful and encouraging. These stories always make me uplifted, no matter the day I've had.

I enjoy reading magazines, but often find myself falling behind on them, especially having had a new baby this summer. Though I've read parts of this issue, there are a few articles that I haven't read yet. I figured if I put it next to my bed, I might get to it a little sooner than if it sat downstairs with my other magazines.


I'm not actually "reading" this one, but I do flip through it every now and then. Though I won't be purchasing anything anytime soon, I'm hoping that I can replicate some of the outfits with what I already have. Maybe by sleeping near it, it will up my style quotient...it could use some help right now.

I recently heard a radio program talking about our responsibilities as parents, especially for those of us who are stay-at-home moms. Part of our job, besides caring for our families and homes, is to put effort into being the best at our job. Like many professions, one of the ways we get better is by reading books about our jobs. So, that's why I spend time reading parenting books. As for this one, who doesn't want happy kids? It's a common sense approach to raising kids who have good self-esteem, are self-confident, and are self-reliant. It focuses on having positive interactions with your children, while still providing clear expectations and boundaries. It chock-full of tips and nuggets of wisdom.

Truthfully, I rarely grab the Bible for my before-bed reading. I usually have my devotions in the morning, but since I started reading Dancing on My Ashes, I've kept a Bible next to my bed so I can look up or mark any verses listed in the book that interest or encourage me.

I have to be honest that I haven't read much of this book yet. I picked this book up at the library recently. Since we live on one income, I'm always on the lookout for new ideas of ways to save money and cut our expenses.  I like that each chapter covers ways to be thrifty or frugal in a different area of your life.

Stay tuned for the next installment in a month or so. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what you are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment