Monday, September 19, 2011

A Visitor and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

We had an unexpected visitor at our house this morning. I was in a hurry, getting the kids ready to go to storytime. I ran into the laundry room/mud room to grab Levi's shoes. I noticed a lint ball on the floor. Where had that been hiding?

Then it moved! Oh my goodness, I bet I jumped two feet into the air. The moving lint ball was a tree frog who had evidently been hopping around in the corners of the laundry room, collecting stray lint on his sticky body. (Note to self: Clean behind the dryer...ASAP) 


We know that there are tree frogs hanging around our house (no pun intended)-we've seen them on the side of our house many times. Still, I wasn't expecting to see one inside the house.

I got Levi and he was thoroughly entertained as it evaded capture for a good five minutes. They're hard to catch! And hard to hold onto once you've caught them. He made it into the family room before we caught him and set him free outside.


As if that weren't enough excitement for one day, Levi and I made Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. He loves raisins, but this was the first time I had ever baked these for him. I used my grandma's recipe which can also be used to make her "famous" Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. She baked hundreds of these and froze them, sending boxes of them home with us when we visited her.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes approx. 5 dozen

1 C. butter or margarine, softened
3/4 C. white granulated sugar
3/4 C. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. hot water
1 tsp. salt
2 C. flour
2 1/2 C. quick cooking oatmeal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 C. raisins
1/2 C. nuts (optional)

Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Dissolve soda in hot water, add in. Mix salt into flour. Add flour mixture, cinnamon, and oatmeal. Mix until incorporated. Stir in raisins (and nuts). Drop onto cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. Allow them to sit on cookie sheet for a minute before removing to wire rack to cool.

For Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, use chocolate chips instead of raisins and omit cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment