Thursday, September 15, 2011

Seasonal Decorating At My House

I love to decorate my house for the seasons. Typically, when it comes to fall decorating, I start after Labor Day weekend. This year, I'm getting a bit of a late start, but I've still got plenty of time to get my house in gear for fall.

This time last year, we had just moved out of our old house, packed all our belongings into PODS, and were living with my in-laws for a few weeks until we closed on our new house. To make matters worse, I was in the first trimester of my pregnancy and not feeling so hot. Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot of fall decorating going on once we moved into our new house. Our decor consisted of stacks of boxes and tubs, garbage bags filled with packing paper, and many piles of things that hadn't yet found their new home.

While I'm excited to decorate my house for fall this year, a new house means new challenges. At my old house, I had things figured out. Now, some of our furniture is new or functioning differently, plus I have more space to cover in this house.

To be honest, seasonal decorating usually is a little challenging for me at first. I get all inspired and pull out my tubs (appropriately labeled for each season, of course).


Then I go around and collect last season's decor so I can start with a clean slate.


Then I unpack all the new season's goodies and stare at it in bewilderment. I fret and worry for a bit. How will I be able to get it just right?



Then I realize I won't be able to and that's OK so I just dive in. I mix my seasonal decor with my everyday things. I pull out vases, jars, and bowls to fill with interesting things. And before I know it, my house will look fresh and different, ready for a new season.

Stay tuned, I'll be posting some of my fall decorating in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment