Monday, August 22, 2011

Zucchini

'Tis the season to enjoy the bounty of one's garden, but since I don't have a vegetable garden, I rely on the bounty of other's. Thankfully, my in-laws are quite generous with all they grow. Each year we get lots of tomatoes and zucchini.

My favorite use for the zucchini is in breads and muffins. You can also make a delicious chocolate cake by simply adding shredded zucchini in place of the oil in a box mix.


When I grate the zucchini, I freeze it in the quantities I most often use it in, usually 1 1/2 C. or 2 C. So far, I've gotten a few large zucchinis from my in-laws. I've baked some things already, freezing a portion of the baked goods, and the rest of the zucchini went straight to the freezer for use later this fall or winter.

This year I tried a few new recipes, with the help of my favorite baking assistant. His favorite part is always licking the spoons or beaters at the end.

We made...

Fat-Free Zucchini Bread from Healthy Meals for Less (see recipe below)


Chocolate Zucchini Muffins from http://www.fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/


Both turned out delicious and we'll definitely make more with the rest of the zucchini we have stored up in the freezer. Now if I could just get my hands on some of their peaches...you know what I'd do!

You can also check out my friend Joanna's blog for some of the zucchini recipes she's tried this year.

Fat-Free Zucchini Bread
from Healthy Meals for Less by Jonni McCoy

3 eggs
1 2/3 C. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 C. unsweetened applesauce
2 C. grated zucchini
3 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and applesauce in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until well blended. Stir in the zucchini. In a separate bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture, and mix well.

Pour into two greased 9x4" loaf pans. Evenly distribute the dough in pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 min., or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted in the center.

Options: Add 3/4 C. chopped walnuts, 1 C. chocolate chips, and/or 1 C. raisins with the zucchini.

1 comment:

  1. I threw 2 cups of grated zucchini in our spaghetti sauce last night for a boost of veggies and to stretch it a bit. The girls didn't even notice. These recipes look great!!

    ReplyDelete