Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homemade Daily Shower Spray

This past year, I started looking into making my own cleaning products. I primarily did this because cleaning products can really add up, but I also knew that it was better to clean with more natural products.

One of the simplest homemade cleansers I use is a mixture of vinegar and water. I mix equal parts in spray bottles and use it to clean mirrors, various surfaces, and to mop my floors. It's also a great spot cleanser for your carpet.

Another homemade cleaning product I use regularly is shower spray. Since we have very hard water at our house, using a daily shower spray helps cut down on the build-up of water spots in our showers and makes cleaning much easier and quicker. It's simple and cheap to mix up.  


You need just two ingredients besides water: a multipurpose cleanser (i.e., Mr. Clean, Lysol, etc.) and rubbing alcohol. You'll also need a 32 oz. spray bottle, but I just reused one that previously held "store-bought" daily shower spray.

2 oz. multipurpose cleanser
4 oz. rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
26 oz. water (enough to fill the bottle)

Mix all ingredients in spray bottle. 

Here's how the price compares:

2 oz. multipurpose cleanser @ $0.08/oz. = $0.32
4 oz. rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol @ $0.06/oz. = $0.12
        
     Total Cost: $0.44 for 32 oz.

     Compare to: $2.00 to $3.00 for 32 oz. of "store-bought" spray (depending on brand purchased)

     Savings of at least $1.56 per bottle

While some might think it's not worth it to make your own cleaning products, I am a believer that every little bit helps. As long as your money-saving swaps aren't time-intensive, they are worth it. So, if you are a user of daily shower spray, try this cheaper alternative.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment