Monday, August 1, 2011

A Drive in the Country & Antiquing

When I was growing up in Iowa, it was not uncommon for our family to take a nice drive in the country. My dad loved to take the backroads and wander our way to our destination along the country roads. It was also not uncommon for our family to take trips to antique shops. Now, as kids, my brother and I dreaded these antiquing stops. As an adult, I can apprectiate a good find at an antique shop and I love taking drives in the country.

Living in the Chicago suburbs, one can easily get caught up in the hussle and bussle of "city life". However, one of the things I love best about where we live is that with a very short drive, we can be in the country. I'm only beginning to explore the backroads of our county and I'm finding some fun places.

The other day, I decided to head out for a drive in the country with my favorite little lady. She's a great partner for a drive in the country...doesn't talk too much (well, at all really) so I can concentrate on enjoying the scenery. She also doesn't complain that I'm driving too slow while I gaze at the old farmhouses, barns, and bucolic scenes.


That day we were headed to "A Gathering of Friends" sale in Union, IL. It was described as sale of "antiques, textiles, garden decor, and other niceties." I had picked up a postcard about it at a local fabric shop, as it is one of the events happening during the summer-long Northern Illinois Quilt Fest.



It was held on a farm, in and around an old barn--a nice setting for looking at antiques. Though it was a small sale with just a few antique dealers, the organizer and farm owner, Lynne, said that they hope to continue this sale in future years and add additional sellers. She's even thinking of opening an antique shop on her property.




I ended up with a milk glass compote dish and a wonderful drive through the country. If you'd like to visit this sale, it is still open by appointment on Fridays for the rest of the summer. Contact Lynne at 815-431-4042.



If you'd like to read more about it, you can check out a newspaper article about the sale here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see "A Gathering of Friends" was indeed an antique sale and not a cult:) Looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wish I could have gone with you! Looks like a beautiful setting and inspirational. Hopefully we'll find out about the next sale.

    ReplyDelete