Monday, July 11, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

One of my favorite things about the warmer weather is the abundance of fresh ingredients for cooking and baking. One of the first that is ready around here is rhubarb and  not long after, strawberries. I don't yet have a rhubarb plant at our new house, but I am able to get rhubarb from my mom and from the local farmers' market.

In the past I have used rhubarb to make rhubarb bread and strawberry rhubarb jam. This year I wanted to try out some new recipes that would use the two ingredients. They make such a good pair-the tartness of the rhubarb and the sweetness of the strawberries. So, I first made a few strawberry rhubarb pies. I used the recipe from The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen (also available here), except I used my own (actually my grandma's) pie crust recipe (I'll share that in another post sometime). Then, my mom shared the recipe for strawberry rhubarb bars she had had at a picnic.

These bars are similar to other "jam bars". They have a somewhat cookie-like crust, jam filling, and crumb topping. Plus, they have an extra shot of sweet with a thin frosting drizzle. I made them this weekend when we had some of our neighbors over. They were a hit! I'll definitely be making them again next year, hopefully with rhubarb from my own plant.


STRAWBERRY RHUBARB BARS
Filling:
1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen unsweetened rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
Crust & Topping:
1.5 c. all-purpose flour
1.5 c. uncooked quick-cooking oats
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
Drizzle:
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1-2 T milk
Combine rhubarb, strawberries & lemon juice in 2 qt saucepan. Cover; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender (8-12 min.) Combine sugar & cornstarch in small bowl. Stir into fruit mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil (about 1 min.) Continue boiling until thickened (1 min.) Remove from heat. Set aside.
Heat oven to 350ºF  Combine all crust ingredients in large bowl.  Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 1/2 c. crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Spread filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
Bake for 30-35 min. or until golden brown. Cool completely. Combine all drizzle ingredients in small bowl. Drizzle over cooled bars.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making these and Joanna's PB bars tonight for a party tomorrow. I had some frozen rhubarb from my Uncle's garden this summer. I'll let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous is Lindsey btw... :)

    ReplyDelete