Friday, July 29, 2011

Like a Good Neighbor...

No, I'm not writing a post about State Farm Insurance. However, on the morning news the other day, they were sharing the results of a recent survey by State Farm on what bugs people about their neighbors. Though I'm sure I could name a few, I feel very blessed to live near the great neighbors we have.

One of the things John and I were looking for when we were house hunting last year, was a house that had a nice neighborhood feel to it. In our old neighborhood, most of the people kept to themselves and it wasn't very friendly. We lived there almost four years and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't recognize most of them if I saw them at the store, let alone be able to tell you their names.

Some people like to be left alone, but I like a neighborhood to feel more like a family. Growing up, I knew all my neighbors and knew that I could go to any of them if I needed help. I want my kids to feel that way too.

Since we are all out more in the nicer weather, I've been seeing more of my neighbors lately and I got to thinking about what makes for good neighbors and all the nice things they've done for us already. Here's what I came up with...

-They care... they ask about things in our lives because they care, not because they're nosy.

-They are generous-with their time, talents, and resources...if they find out we need something and they have it, they are always willing to share and one neighbor regularly shares her baked good with us.

-They are thoughtful...when Lillian was born some of our neighbors decorated the outside of our house with "It's a girl!" decorations and a congratulations sign as well as giving us gifts

-They're helpful...the guys are always willing to help John with projects around the yard and house.

-They're friendly...they always wave, say hello, and take time chat, plus the older neighbor kids love to come and play with Levi, even though he's just a little guy.

-They're there...I know I can turn to them when I need them because I already have.

I know that God knew what He was doing when he put us here in this house. It was not by chance. I'm so thankful for the neighbors I have and I hope that I can be a blessing to them in return.

1 comment:

  1. Good neighbors are the best. In fact, we just had dessert over at a neighbor's house tonight. I didn't grow up with neighborhoody neighbors, so this is all very new to me. I'm loving it. And I'm loving that my girls are growing up with this experience.

    ReplyDelete