Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Day of Remembrance

Sunday was a bittersweet day for me. On July 17th, sixty-one years ago, my dad was born. Sadly, four and a half years ago, he passed away. Though I will never forget the day we lost him, I choose to remember the day he came to this earth. I choose to celebrate his life, not his death.

I wasn't exactly what you'd call a “daddy's girl.” I was always close with both my parents, but I did have special bond with my dad. Maybe all girls do, I don't know, but I do know that my dad and I were kindred spirits. He just “got” me. He always knew what little things would make me smile, probably because they were often the things that made him smile. He might come home with a small gift that he knew I'd enjoy, or take me someplace he'd found that I just had to see. He had this way of looking at me that even when I was “grown-up”, made me feel like he was looking at his little girl.

My dad was a fun-loving, affectionate jokester who had a heart for people. He had the ability to strike up a conversation with anyone and to make that person feel completely at ease and as if they'd known him for years, even if they were just meeting. More importantly though, he had a heart for Christ. He was a strong man of faith who spent a lot of time reading God's word and praying, always seeking to let God work through him. My dad was so full of life that when he was diagnosed with cancer in 2006, we were all stunned. Through it all, his and my mom's unwavering faith was an example to all of us.

I still miss my dad and I don't think that will ever change. I know he was proud of who I had become and who he knew I would be in my future. After he was diagnosed I told him how sad I was that my kids wouldn't get to know him and have him as their grandpa. He told me how sad he was that he wouldn't see me as a mom because that's what I'd been born to do.

The one comfort I have is that I know that I will see him again one day. It won't be the same, but that's OK because instead, it will be perfect. More perfect than any of us could ever imagine. So on his birthday, I celebrate the life of my dad. I was blessed to have him as my father here on earth, but more blessed that he taught me how to have an eternal life after death with my heavenly father.


Photo by Heirloom Photographic Memories


Happy Belated Birthday Daddy! I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Oh the tears! What he said about you being born to be a mom is so true. Just imagine the glorious reunion we will all have one day. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful rememberance for a great Dad. You Dad was one of my favorite parts of hanging out at your house. :) tears... Lindsey

    ReplyDelete